Re: RARA-AVIS: Wheelman

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 20 Dec 2005

Duane wrote:

"I'm surprised you didn't ask me why Lennon, an avowed non-smoker, is seen smoking while he walks across the Ben Franklin Bridge..."

Upon further reflection, I caught the homage to The Hunter (AKA Point Blank, AKA Payback):

"Parker spat in the right-hand lane, lit his last cigarette, and walked across the George Washington Bridge. . . .

"Out in the middle, the bridge trembled and swayed in the wind. It does it all the time, but he'd never noticed it. He'd never walked it before. He felt it shivering under his feet, and he got mad. He threw the used-up butt at the river, spat on a passing hubcap, and strode on."

The Wheelman:

"He spat in the right-hand lane, lit Andy's last cigarette, and walked across the bridge. Halfway across, he noticed how much the bridge swayed and bucked. He never knew bridges did that. He'd never had to walk across them before. The jittering under his feet pissed him off."

It makes me wonder what other passing references and jokes I missed.
(Barone family, as in Everybody Loves Raymond? Dylan McManus, last name that of one of the many new Dylans, Elvis Costello? And Patrick Selway Lennon's middle name keeps nagging at me.)

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season! http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM