Re: RARA-AVIS: Wheelman

From: Duane Swierczynski ( Duane.Swier@verizon.net)
Date: 19 Dec 2005

Mark (and Karin)--

I'm just thrilled you enjoyed THE WHEELMAN. And yep, you guessed it:
"Kowalski" is shout-out to the VANISHING POINT character, as well as
"Leon Kowalski," the replicant played by Brion James, in BLADE RUNNER.

(In the next novel, THE BLONDE, Kowalski is one of the main characters. It is a stand-alone; no need to have read WHEELMAN... though it can't hurt.)

Anyway, as for those MAJOR-ASS SPOILERS...

(...just want to make sure nobody stumbles into these unaware....)

> MAJOR SPOILER ALERT
>
> When
> Perelli's men went to check the bodies in the pipe, they found six
> bodies. But I only counted five -- Bling, Mikal and Andrew on the
> first
> dump, Holden later dumped Evsei and Wilcoxson. So who'd I miss?

Remember in BLADE RUNNER when Bryant says that six Nexus-6 replicants escaped from the off-world colony, but later in the movie, you realize that there are only five that can be accounted for? This is sort of like that.

> Also,
> are we supposed to know who are in the last two body bags? Did the
> mustached guy perfom a coup on Perelli and take either Dovaz or his
> daughter with him? Or were they just two more, random casualties?

I wanted to leave the bodies in those bags up to interpretation. But my guess is, Saugherty had it right--once word about a new body-dump site spread throughout the mob community, some people decided to take advantage of the opportunity. Hey, only so many people can fit on the bottom of the Delaware River...

I'm surprised you didn't ask me why Lennon, an avowed non-smoker, is seen smoking while he walks across the Ben Franklin Bridge...

Cheers--

Duane

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season! http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM