Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Trevanian dead

From: Doug Bassett (
Date: 19 Dec 2005

I've read THE EIGER SANCTION, which is an oddball combination of a semi-goof on Bond combined with some really great mountaineering action. Works pretty well despite the mishmash, though.

I've never liked SHIBUMI, which over-emphasizes the parodic elements a bit too much, I think. Some nice caving scenes, though.

I haven't read anything by him, though I've been intermittantly curious about THE LOO SANCTION and especially THE MAIN. I wonder how hardboiled THE MAIN might be. Also didn't he write a Western?

--- briannthorntonn <> wrote:

> Thanks for posting this, Jim (and congratulations on
> your active
> status in MWA).
> I read "Shibumi" when I was 15 or 16. I was blown
> away by it. I
> tried to read "The Main" as a follow-up, but it
> didn't hold my
> teen-aged attention. Come to think of it, the
> hero's girlfriend in
> "Shibumi" might have been a large part of what kept
> me turning the
> pages. Ah, youth!
> Perhaps it's time I gave "The Main" another whack,
> although my
> attention span might be a bit shorter, what with
> turning 40, and all.
> Anyone else delved into Trevanian's works? I was
> always impressed
> with the fact that his books sold so well without
> him needing to do
> anything much to publicize them.
> Best-
> Brian Thornton