RARA-AVIS: The Wheelman

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 18 Dec 2005

Last night, I finished The Wheelman by Duane Swierczynski. Really, really good.

I don't know why, perhaps the title, but I expected a very stripped down, almost minimalist story like the great car movies of the '70s, like The Driver, Two Lane Blacktop or Vanishing Point (is the use of the name Kowalski a shout out to Barry Newman?). That's not at all what I got. Stripped down, yes, but I got enough plot to fill a vintage Gold Medal (amazing how much plot they stuffed into those thin volumes). And Duane keeps it very tightly under control. I must admit I didn't think that was the case with his earlier novel, Secret Dead Man; I thought the plot got away from him near the end. But The Wheelman juggles a lot of people and subplots, but expertly weaves them in and out. As I said, really, really good. Sure to be loved by just about anyone on this list. All it needed was trashier cover art (not that I didn't really like the kinda punky artwork it does have); maybe the paperback will get that.

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT

Duane, I do have a question about the bodies in the pipe. When Perelli's men went to check the bodies in the pipe, they found six bodies. But I only counted five -- Bling, Mikal and Andrew on the first dump, Holden later dumped Evsei and Wilcoxson. So who'd I miss? Also, are we supposed to know who are in the last two body bags? Did the mustached guy perfom a coup on Perelli and take either Dovaz or his daughter with him? Or were they just two more, random casualties?

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season! http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM