RARA-AVIS: Peter Doyle

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 18 Dec 2005

Anyone ever heard of Australian crime fiction writer Peter Doyle? I ran across his debut, Get Rich Quick, at www.versechorus.com/grq.html. They excerpt a pretty funny (opening?) line: "I didn't spot the body until I was about to dive in. He was floating face down, the water around him streaked with red. He looked like William Holden in that film, except this fellow was big, and he wasn't talking about how he got there . . ."

Seems the book won a Ned Kelly Award (Australia's Edgar, I guess) for best debut. And the second in the series later won for best novel. The various blurbs mention Elmore Leonard, Jim Thompson, James M Cain and Carl Hiassen. A bit of a range there. So, anyone know of this book, or series, is any good?

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season! http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM