RARA-AVIS: Ice Harvest

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Dec 2005

For me, Ice Harvest was disappointing.

A couple of guys moving around in one sense to stay out of trouble in another making sure that trouble would follow them. Poorly done as a movie, I think, but I can see how, with focus, it could have been a better story, and probably was.

I never read the book, but I can think of any number of noir stories and books that follow that particular paradigm including Jim Thompson's "The Grifters."

They are the stories that help define "noir," for me. No matter what these characters do, they are screwed because they are screwed up and fate
(luck) helps them screw up bigger and even more with each succeeding step along the way.

Jack

http://www.jackbludis.com Shamus nominee for "Shadow of the Dahlia" Amazon.com / BN.com / MysteryLovesCompany.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season! http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM