RARA-AVIS: Ice harvest

From: Byron Roye ( broye54@comcast.net)
Date: 12 Dec 2005

I Finally saw Ice Harvest in the movie house and I was disappointed, not greatly disappointed but It was not worth the 8.50 per ticket I spent to see it. I hurts me that there are so many movies that are essentially B-movies that I would enjoy for what are, programmers to fill out a bill. But when those movies are billed as A-movies and are charging a full fare it hard to take. I realize that the economy of movie making is such that it can not support that type of distribution model. But it made it easier for the movie viewer to see many more minor movies that they would otherwise not see. I imagine that Straight-to-Video and cable provides that function today.

Back to the Ice Harvest, the movie and the book. I found the changes that were made in the movie were a drawback. By not setting the movie in the time period of the book which I believe was the early 70's created some problems. The first is that cell phones were not that prevalent and they would have easily eliminated the miscues and miscommunications between the characters. The whole Porno Titty bar angle seems anachronistic for the current time. Not that some Porno shops are still around but by far most of Porno sales are conducted via the internet. And most Titty bar if there are not upscale pretend to be. There both were sleazily appropriate for 1970's rather than now.

As I was reading the Ice Harvest I must admit that the structure for me was odd. The first two thirds of the novel was just a series of disjointed meetings, missed opportunities and one bacchanal after another in the middle of a Midwestern ice storm. If I did know that there was a crime involved from this listserve I would have mistook the novel for another Pointless New Yorker short story and given up on it. The details of how the two partners pulled off the heist is never given. I think that the ending of the novel is better if only because it promises a better follow on novel.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM