RARA-AVIS: Peter Rabe--Dig My Grave Deep

From: Brian Evankovich ( briane1911a1@hotmail.com)
Date: 10 Dec 2005

Hi, everybody - Recently I acquired a HUGE stack of old Black Lizard books, all in excellent shape. The first one I grabbed was Peter Rabe's "Dig My Grave Deep" and it's great! The writing is very thin as far as description goes, but it brings to mind the style Donald Westlake later used in his Richard Stark novels (I'm only guessing at the influence; however, Westlake has written a lot of about Rabe, so I know he was an avid reader). It's the first in the Daniel Port series (the gangster enforcer who wants out of the Outfit), and the only one I have in the stack, which bings me to my first question: Does anybody know what the other three Daniel Port books were?

Also, has anybody else enjoyed Rabe's work? Aside from "Kill the Boss Good-Bye" (also in the Black Lizard stack) I have "Murder Me for Nickles" and "The Box" which are included in a couple of anthololgies Ed Gorman put together. I read the first chapter of "Nickles" last night, just to see how it began, and I had to make myself stop. What a grabber. I've read that Rabe's work varied as the years went on, but I'm looking forward to reading his best. Thanks! --Brian

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM