Re: RARA-AVIS: John Fante

From: vhend1234@aol.com
Date: 06 Dec 2005

It's been a long time since I gave Fante a try, but I think his writing was just too primitive for me and the characters uninteresting. Bukowski did the same thing, only more artfully, if you can believe that. He was heavily inspired by Fante, but went to new heights. If I had read Fante first, I might have felt differently. I have to add that I don't wade very far into a book if I don't like it. Too many good books to waste time. Usually, if the writer doesn't know how to start, it doesn't get any better. However, there are exceptions, so if Fante gets better after a few chapters, I wouldn't know it. Vicki

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM