Re: RARA-AVIS: John Fante

From: ejgorman99@aol.com
Date: 05 Dec 2005

I'm always happy to read anything about John Fante. I agree that just about every writer gets excessive praise from time to time but it's difficult to imagine Fante being overpraised. I once described him as combining the talents of early Wm Saroyan (before the anti-Semitism and general sloppiness in the work) and a less psychotic Charles Bukowski. That kind of Calif writer with a bit of Nathaneal West and Steinbeck of the Cannery Row era tossed in. He was a wonderful raconteur and could detail his hunger for women and food (he was always starving for both) better than just about anybody I've ever read. His best work is like looking through a photo album of Calif in the Thirties, the Depression alive and snarling, and LA dreams dazzling an ambitious young literary man.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> AIDS in India: A "lurking bomb." Click and help stop AIDS now. http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpTY2A/lzNLAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM