Re: RARA-AVIS: Corrido

From: mrriter@aol.com
Date: 30 Nov 2005

I can add some trivia here. A corrido is a ballad - a song that tells a story. The original title of my first book was El Corrido de Rocky Ruiz, eventually changed to the Ballad of Rocky Ruiz. Narco corridos are songs that tell stories about the drug-smuggling business and the smugglers along the Tex-Mex border. Quite a hard-boiled genre of music, actually, and some of the musicians are just as hard as their music
(e.g., Chalino Sanchez). I haven't read Corrido so can't say anything about how that book uses the word.

Manuel Ramos

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Robison < miker_zspider@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:39:48 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Corrido

  Mark wrote:

Sounds like a pretty good book. I was wondering, though, given the title, if it deals at all with Narco Corridos.

*************** I'm not familiar with the Narco Corridos you mention. It's not mentioned specifically in the book. There's a short blurb on the first page explaining the significance of the title. Something about corrido being a traditional folk song or a dance or something like that. I'm at work and my memory is fuzzy, but I'm thinking that generic terms for song and dance are canta and baile.

I just thought of another good line in the book. One of the characters is talking about Texas and says that Civil War General Sherman said that if he owned Texas and hell, he'd rent out Texas and live in hell.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM