Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Half Priced Words

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 30 Nov 2005

The older I get, the more I find I have to clarify my own words after the fact. I wouldn't want anyone out there to think that I'm not appreciative of internet reviewers. My last two books have been reviewed far more extensively on the internet than in newspapers or magazines, so I'm deeply indebted to internet reviewers. But there are people out there who are more into getting and selling free books than providing the service they promise in return. To find out who those people are, one only has to look on the Amazon pages for used copies of a book that is about to be released or has been released very recently. Some of those books are being sold by legit dealers who actually purchased a copy at a discount, others (usually the cheapest copies) are coming from the scammers I mentioned earlier. Almost every copy of the book that I bought off the Amazon used pages contained the publicity material the publicist included in the review copies. They got it for free and immediately
 put it on the market. It's annoying that these resources - packing and shipping costs, the publicists' time, the book itself - are being used up, only to have the review copies compete with the books that are for sale in the marketplace. It's even more annoying that legitimate internet reviewers might be denied access to a book because one of these characters beat them to the request and the books alloted have been distributed to people who have no intention of even trying to read the book.

TL

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM