RARA-AVIS: Corrido

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Nov 2005

Just finished this novel by Mandy Keifetz. It's a story about a woman English professor from New York and a drug dealing ex-con from New Mexico. With his parole successfully completed, he heads up to New York to be with her, but they soon end up back down on the border involved with some rough characters and a dangerous drug smuggling scheme. Fueled by peyote mushrooms washed down with tequila. It's a classic noir predicament. The characters might have free will, but the merits of choosing which road to hell you're going to travel are debatable.

Without ever invoking the postmodern label, the novel walks the edges. There's a good line about Lacan, and without ever invoking Foucault's name, the novel visits themes he explored, insanity and the politics of knowledge and power.

I've been working hard on learning Spanish, and I picked up some delightfully filthy slang from it.

miker

__________________________________ Yahoo! Music Unlimited Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM