RARA-AVIS: Re: Half Priced Words

From: Tony Burton ( tburton@crimeandsuspense.com)
Date: 29 Nov 2005

You know, I recently posted a call for reviws of POD/co-op published books on my website. I posted it on a couple of the lists here, and one of them raised an almighty stink. And first of all: the reviews are honest and unbiased and they are free. Well, I got lambasted by some self-important know-it-all quizzing me about who would be doing the reviewing, would they be anonymous, would they all be glowing reviews, would they be honest, and how most POD writers need to improve their writing instead of getting reviewed! What a rant!

Anyway... what I'm getting to is this: Jack, you said you wouldn't review it unless you think you are going to enjoy it. Doesn't that tend to make your reviews sort of inherently "good reviews"? And by that I mean, do you ever give a negative review of a book? It's not an accusation, I'm just curious. I've done a lot of reviewing of various things: books, computer hardware, software, and when it sucked, I said it sucked. I wonder if you, and anyone else here who reviews, is of the same mind? Or am I just a misanthropic minority?

Tony Burton Editor, Crime and Suspense ezine http://www.crimeandsuspense

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM