Re: RARA-AVIS: 'Blonde Lightning: A Novel'

From: Aldo Calcagno ( mysdawg@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 27 Nov 2005

Hey Fred,
  As a fellow educator (building principal) I know exactly what you mean.
  It's too bad that this excellent review couldn't have been published the week of the release of the book. But alas, maybe this will help bolster his holiday sales....
  Aldo Mystery Dawg

Frederick Zackel < fzackel@wcnet.org> wrote: I confess I have been remiss of late. Like evry teacher, I have been so swamped with grading tests & essays that I hardly read the newspaper let alone lift my head.

Today I found in the Los Angeles Times a review of "Blonde Lightning: A Novel" by Terrill Lee Lankford, a rara-avian. It is listed in the Book Review as a Special to The Times, and any time TL is praised is Special.

http://www.calendarlive.com/books/cl-et-book22nov22,0,549265.story?coll=cl-books-util

This review, by Paula L. Woods, says,

"the novel "Blonde Lightning" (is) not just another dose of murderous mayhem but a deeper and more disturbing meditation on Mark's love-hate relationship with the film industry."

Woods continues:
"Originally envisioned with "Earthquake Weather" as one volume, "Blonde Lightning" stands on its own as a wicked cool read and further solidifies the early praise about Lankford as a latter-day successor to Nathanael West and Raymond Chandler."

Go for it, folks. "Blonde Lightning" like "Earthquake Weather" is cool.

And that's not me talking.

Mystery Dawg http://acalcagno.blogspot.com