RARA-AVIS: Re: Chase 'fakes' (and Nick Quarry)

From: Vladimir ( kerwud@yandex.ru)
Date: 22 Nov 2005

3 "canadian titles" of Chase are indicated (for example) in the old edition of "Crime Fiction. 1749-80" by Allen. J. Hubin (NY, London, 1984)and in the encyclopedia "Twenty-century crime and mystery writers" (Chicago & London: St. James Press, 1991) As to "mafia/gangster novel" by Chase... Probably You talk about the book " He Lived Only For Revenge ". On a cover by which one the artful publisher has placed a name of Chase. Actually this novel is called " The Vendetta " (NY: Fawcett Gold Medal, 1973). Author is american hard-boiled and western writer Nick Quarry (pseudonym of Marvin Hubert Albert, 1924-1996).

" The Vendetta " is the chronological prequel for "The Don Is Dead"
(NY: Fawcett Gold Medal, 1972)

Vladimir

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "m23to53" <library.john@v...> wrote:

> While on this subject, it is worth noting that Allen Hubin has one
> listed in the latest edition of his 'Crime Fiction'. I was involved
in
> a discussion about the book, which seemed to be some average
> mafia/gangster novel put in a cover purporting to be a Chase title.
In
> a weird way, I suppose, it shows the once insatiable demand for
Chase