RARA-AVIS: Lehane

From: Tim Wohlforth ( tim@timwohlforth.com)
Date: 20 Nov 2005

The same story is also included in "Best American Mystery Stories 2005" edited by Joyce Carol Oates, series editor Otto Penzler. The Oates-Penzler compilation is interesting as it tends toward the noir. This year, for instance, four stories from Plots With Guns receive mention, one is printed. I am proud to be the author of one the other three that at least received Distiinguished mention. There have, I understand, been complaints from cozy writers about Penzler's "bias" in favor of noir. This does not mean that Penzler includes that many traditional hardboiled. The slant is more literary and "crime" as against puzzle mystery writing.

But there are those, and I am one of them, who believe that this is not a matter of bias. The best contemporary crime writing tends to be dark. I'd be interested in whether you all agree with this considering the general subject matter of this list. I am not so sure it is simply a matter of taste. I think it is difficult to write something truly creative about sipping tea in a B&B.