RARA-AVIS: Salman and James

From: dcs234 ( dcs234@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Nov 2005

Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie

I noticed from the archive that someone suggested this as a possible noir a few months back.

While the plot is undeniably concerned with the anatomy of a murder committed early in the book, I don't think it can truly be considered a genre novel. Nevertheless, it is a real return to form for Rushdie and a highly recommended read.

One interesting thing to note was the names of the two Los Angeles detectives who arrest a suspect in the wake of the Rodney King riots. Rushdie goes out of his way to namecheck Detectives Geneva and Hilliker as often as possible to no particular purpose. One wonders how the Mad Dog would feel about having his late mother appropriated in such an odd manner. Or maybe Salman and James are friends.