RARA-AVIS: The Spoiler

From: Domenic ( mystery.robot@pacbell.net)
Date: 17 Nov 2005

\
> Message: 11
> Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:56:37 -0000
> From: "T. Kent Morgan" < tkmorgan@shaw.ca>
> Subject: The Confession and The Spoiler
>
> Kent wrote:

> Has anyone read and commented on his baseball mystery, The Spoiler?
> I purchased it in hardcover and read it back in 1988 so don't
> remember much about it other than it was dark and not typical
> baseball fiction. I pulled my copy off the shelf today and realized
> that it may qualify as noir. The main character is a a reporter,
> who, according to the dust jacket, wants to forget "his own haunted
> past" but is approached by a mysterious woman. He can't resist the
> woman or her stories and "although each mistrusts the other, their
> strange courtship begins." The final line on the DJ - he pursues his
> destiny straight through to the end.
>
> Any comments on this early book, Mr. Stansberry?

The Spoiler was my first novel, and was set around a minor league baseball team in Holyoke, Massachusetts--a town plagued by arson. This was minor league baseball back circa 1979, before it had the family sheen that it does now--and was played in pretty hardscrabble places in front of very small crowds.

I was a reporter then, working for a paper in Western Massachusetts, and did occasional features for the paper on the Single A team there, The Holyoke Millers, which was franchise for the California Angels.

There was a sappy book about Shoeless Joe Jackson on the charts at the time, and The Spoiler is pretty much it's antithesis. It's definitely in the noir mode, but that term was not so much in vogue as it is at the moment...

Domenic