RARA-AVIS: Ellroy and cursing

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 15 Nov 2005

I also liked MY DARK PLACES and the supposed self-indulgence didn't bother me.

Just as his cursing and swearing (or rather his characters') doesn't bother me. I haven't yet read THE COLD SIX THOUSAND, but I didn't notice in AMERICAN TABLOID that the sentiments portrayed would've also been his own. He uses lots of free indirect discourse (I hope I'm using the term correctly), which may seem to some to be author's own voice.

As for DEADWOOD, I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing it. It hasn't yet aired in Finland.

Juri http://pulpetti.blogspot.com