RARA-AVIS: Re: THE COLORADO KID >>>> SPOILERS!!!!!!

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 15 Nov 2005

Kate wrote:

> My husband read it and liked it a
> lot, so I read the whole thing. The device of having the
> "action" (such as it was, and it wasn't much) of the story told at
> second-hand by two Old Geezers to a Sweet Young Thing, removed all
> tension. And, as you can see by my capitalization, the characters
> were almost entirely cardboard cliches. I think the concept of not
> providing any explanation or motivation for the central character is
> just lazy and self-indulgent.

I dunno. Granted, probably only King could have had something like that published (Charles?) but I think (I hope) he was fully aware of what he was doing. Like your husband, I enjoyed it, mostly because it's been a while since an author has fucked with my mind like that.

I thought the whole almost generic quality of the mystery (and characters) was intentional, forcing us to concentrate on the plot and more specifically the upcoming solution which, of course, he had no intention of giving us.

After all, King's certainly capable of creating memorable characters and some real head-spinning plots.

And because he was (I think) trying to get us to look at why we tell stories to each other, I think the story more or less had to be told second-hand.

It's not that I absolutely LOVED the book, but I did enjoy it quite a it, and even after I got sucker-punched, I found it really hard to dislike. What does your husband think, since he did enjoy it?

Kevin