RARA-AVIS: Questions for Domenic Stansberry

From: Chris M ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 15 Nov 2005

Thanks for joining us on the list. We've discussed The Confession quite a bit all year, so it's terrific for you to be here.

I'm curious about your having two books published in such short succession. For those of us who read hardboiled and noir fiction all the time, they're drastically different, but I would suspect most readers would classify them under the generic Mystery or Crime Fiction label. If you don't mind answering, how did this whole scenario come about?

I'm not a writer like many on this list, but I'm still curious about your approach to the two books. I've often heard writers say they consider short stories or poetry more difficult than novels because they must worry more about every last word in order to make the payoff at the end work. The Confession strikes me as a novel that would fit this same classification, whereas with Chasing the Dragon I wonder if you had to balance the plot and characterization of the current book while also building a foundation for future books in the series. It will be a series, right?

And how does Chasing The Dragon fit against your Noir Manifesto (if at all)?

Thanks again.