Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: @$%$!!!

From: winter_writes@earthlink.net
Date: 15 Nov 2005

I still haven't gotten used to every other word (literally in most episodes) being "fuck," but at the same time, I've found the show highly addictive.

I've learned to treat the swearing as a joke. "Hey, honey! DEADWOOD's on, and it's the episode where they say 'fuck' all the time. It's right up there with the SOUTHPARK episode where Kenny dies."

Jim Winter

-----Original Message----- From: Kevin Burton Smith < kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com>

Terrill wrote:

> I don't consider most of the profanity on DEADWOOD an attempt to make
> the characters sound tough (or even real). It appears to be
> punctuation of some sort.

Of some sort?

But, then, like, punctuation, it, can be, over-used, and, lose, its, effectiveness.

Or maybe, as some suggest, I've been "co-opted by society" and "have no interest in literature" because I'm just not as easily impressed by a few swear words as some of the other kids in the schoolyard are.

"Gosh, Ellroy used 'nigger' 4657 times. What a daring writer!!!! And sooooo hard-boiled!"

Kevin

http://www.jamesrwinter.com http://jamesrwinter.typepad.com winter-newsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com