RARA-AVIS: Re: THE COLORADO KID >>>> SPOILER!!!!!!

From: Kate Derie ( cluelass@cluelass.com)
Date: 14 Nov 2005

On Nov 13, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Dave Zeltserman wrote:

> I personally like King, and agree that Misery is a good read, and
> borderline noir. That said, I could not get through Colorado Kid. I
> found the writing to cutesy and artificial, and slogged through the
> first 30 pages before throwing in the towel.

Dave, you didn't miss anything. My husband read it and liked it a lot, so I read the whole thing. The device of having the
"action" (such as it was, and it wasn't much) of the story told at second-hand by two Old Geezers to a Sweet Young Thing, removed all tension. And, as you can see by my capitalization, the characters were almost entirely cardboard cliches. I think the concept of not providing any explanation or motivation for the central character is just lazy and self-indulgent. Many of you claim that the "solution" to a mystery is unimportant, but I'm sure you find it important that a character's motivation explains their actions. Since the "Colorado Kid" was only sketched in, and his actions were as theoretical as intelligent design, the reader doesn't even get the satisfaction of a complete portrait.

It doesn't take a Stephen King to set up a conundrum and leave it unsolved. I suppose it would make a great writing contest though -- write your own ending to "The Colorado Kid" for $10,000 and the chance to meet Stephen King.

Kate Derie