Re: RARA-AVIS: Surprise Endings

From: Robert Elkin ( rictusaporia@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Nov 2005

General rule of thumb: If you can actually say what Tony cites below about a genuine piece of literature, you are not somebody who's going to want to "get it." One cannot be offended by literature that's trying to make a point that, if listened to, will improve society. In other words, if you can be offended by the "motherfucker" in Ellroy's books, or by the
"cocksucker" in Deadwood, you've been co-opted by your society's sense of decorum & really have no interest in "literature"--a thing which ALWAYS challenges society's current narrative. As I once overheard someone say about a Chester Himes book--"It's ok, dear, he didn't say motherfucker, he said mother-raper. We can read it." From my Own Anti-Soapbox Dais, Rob