Re: RARA-AVIS: @$%$!!! (was Surprise Endings)

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 14 Nov 2005

Kevin wrote in my defense:

"What's he's complaining about -- and I'm sure he'll tell you so himself in far better terms -- is overkill."

That pretty much says it for me, thanks.

"DEADWOOD, much as I love it, suffers from the same fate. . . . I think sometimes on DEADWOOD they're cursing just to remind us we're not watching network television."

Although I recently picked up the first season, I have not yet watched it, so I can't comment on Deadwood. However, this reminded me that I was sorry I forgot to mention The Wire as an example of well used non-PC language. The show is filled with cursing (some very inventive), as well as racial and sexual slurs, but it never seems forced, always seems to flow from character. It's saying something when a scene whose entire dialogue is the word fuck delivered with different inflections does not seem gratuitous.

Mark