Re: RARA-AVIS: Racism in Cain

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 14 Nov 2005

At 10:51 AM 14/11/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>No idea. Are they? The story's told by Frank. Cain doesn't offer any
>opinions. For all I know, he was married to a Greek-Mexican.

Going back to where this thread began, I think Postman is an excellent example of plot revealing character. So much story, so much happens to these people I think we often forget how slim this book is- about 120 pages. The two characters meeting, trying to move apart then together again, two attempts at murder, a trial, blackmail and another murder, finally death. And we learn about its characters, who seem very real and complex to me, through what they do and say, not through long passages of analysis and creative writing designed to tell the reader what the character is thinking or feeling.

Sometimes I think my least favourite sentences are the ones that begin "He was the type of person who..."

Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com