Re: RARA-AVIS: Surprise Endings

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 14 Nov 2005

At 11:18 PM 11/11/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>miker wrote:
>
>I don't think courts had the same burden of proof in the 1930s. Nor did
>the cops have the same constraints on eliciting confessions.

Not to argue the point above, but I don't think we should underrate the human desire to confess. If I recall my statistics, most crimes are solved through second hand confessions. The criminal tells someone at least part of what was done. It's sometimes described as bragging (and often comes to court through various forms of authoritative trading and manipulation) but I think the Catholic church was on to something powerful when they made confession a central part of their community service. There is a psychological and political basis for this, as well as spiritual.

We all need a confidant, and it's rare that secrets are kept.

Best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com