RARA-AVIS: Total Chaos, Jean-Claude Izzo

From: Vince Keenan ( vpkeenan@hotmail.com)
Date: 14 Nov 2005

All the recent discussion of Manchette prompted me to visit the foreign mysteries section of the bookstore, where I picked up Europa Editions' handsome new version of this 1995 book. It's Izzo's first U.S. translation, and it simply knocked me out.

It's a great hard-boiled tale of a Marseilles police detective looking into the deaths of two close friends from his wild days on the streets. Drenched with atmosphere, shot through with pain and longing ... it's the best book I've read in quite some time.

CHAOS is the first in a trilogy, and Europa plans on bringing the other two installments out in 2007. But I'm not sure if I can wait that long.

I'm hoping that some of our continental rare birds can shed some light on Izzo, who died in 2000. What's his reputation? How are the follow-up books in the Marseilles trilogy? And has anyone seen the film adaptation of CHAOS or the TV series based on the books starring Alain Delon?

Vince Keenan

www.vincekeenan.com Pop culture, high and low, past and present. One day at a time.