RARA-AVIS: Re: THE COLORADO KID >>>> SPOILER!!!!!!

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 13 Nov 2005

> I haven't read anything by King, and I'm surely not
> going to start with THE COLORADO KID.

Too bad -- it might make for a good discussion on this list. I think King's a pretty sharp writer when he wants to be (and his tendencies to over-indulgence are reined in). Of course, you count the entire book as self-indulgence, for which a case could certainly be argued.

After all, only a writer of King's commercial stature could sell a mystery without any real solution.

But maybe that was part of the point. King's a pretty sharp observer of pop culture, and he's savvy enough to acknowledge that he's become a part of it himself. It adds a whole other layer to the question of why we read stories.

As for his hard-boiled creds, some of his best work does have very dark if not always hard-boiled overtones. I could easily imagine MISERY filmed in the forties, maybe as an RKO quickie, starring William Holden and Gloria Swanson or Bette Davis? Creepy? Yes...

And King's Chandler pastiche was pretty good, as well. And some of his novellas. Which is why I was hoping COLORADO would be more hard-boiled. I think he has it in him, and judging from everything I've read about him, he's certainly a fan of the genre.

Still, over all I enjoyed COLORADO KID quite a bit and I think in he does raise some of the same questions Vicki herself raised about the nature of mysteries and whether the solution matters.

Kevin