Re: RARA-AVIS: Surprise Endings (was "Unreliable narrator")

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 13 Nov 2005

I don't have Postman or Double Indemnity on hand, so I can't go look anything up. I may well be wrong about who we're supposed to sympathize with. And I forgot to say that I agree the ironic ending is very good.

All I know is that I was disappointed in them, as sometimes happens after hearing nothing but raves. With the number of promising books ahead of me, however, I don't intend to reread them anytime soon. Reading his two most famous books did not make me seek out the others, either.

My remarks comparing Christie and Cain were in response to Vicki. I disagree that Christie cheated in her plots, though maybe she did once in a while. She relies heavily on character types, it's true. But, having read dozens of her books in my life, and three of them in the past year, I admire her originality in plotting and versatility. One of the books was set in ancient Egypt! Anyway, they're not noir or hard-boiled so we shouldn't even be talking about her.

The thing is, Vicki's comments encouraged me to toss a stone at the Cain idol.

You're right, though, Al--limited output says nothing about quality. That was a pointless remark. After hitting send, I immediately though of Harper Lee, of course. And as you say, Cain's work was very influential.

I guess my main point was that I don't feel The Postman Always Rings Twice lives up to its reputation on this list, although I can't go into any more detail because it's all a blur now. I don't think anyone else has ever said they didn't really like it.

Karin