Re: RARA-AVIS: Racism and misogyny

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Nov 2005

John Lau wrote:

my 3 year old little girl has been watching a lot of old Disney fairy tales lately. man, talk about stories having WOMAN ISSUES. every single one of them has some kind of evil witch or wicked stepmother in it. and lemme tellya, these bitches are loathsome

**************** I think I mentioned that in the last six months or so I've turned more towards nonfiction than fiction. A few really bad novels helped. Anyway, one of the nonfiction ones was Maria Tatar's THE HARD FACTS ABOUT THE GRIMMS' TALES. A great book, with no-nonsense straight talk about the tales, and some interesting conclusions. A lot of those Disney movies are based on those tales.

Mr. Stansberry did a tip of the hat to those tales in his THE CONFESSION. The protagonist's wife is writing a book on three of the tales, at least one of them with an incest theme buried in it.

miker