Re: RARA-AVIS: Racism and misogyny

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 12 Nov 2005

John Lau wrote:

"my 3 year old little girl has been watching a lot of old Disney fairy tales lately.   man, talk about stories having WOMAN ISSUES.   every single one of them has some kind of evil witch or wicked stepmother in it.   and lemme tellya, these bitches are loathsome "

I recently read Brun Bettelheim's Uses of Enchantment about fairy tales and how they function for kids. He's got a lot to say about those witches and wicked stepmothers. Fascinating book.

And except for the required happy ending, many of those stories were pretty damn dark. Change the POV character and you've got some pretty noir tales.

Mark