Re: RARA-AVIS: Unreliable narrator

From: Dave Zeltserman ( davezelt@comcast.net)
Date: 12 Nov 2005

>>It all really comes down to
> less plot twists and more character = more literary, and yes, up
North you
> tend to have a more literary crowd! Unfortunately, more literary =
less popular,
> way less money. But we're all stuck with our preferences.
> Vicki

I agree with Vicki here - books like Double Indenmity, The Cockfighter, Hell of a Woman, Killer Inside Me could easily be categorized as literary instead of crime fiction. Ironically, dark literary fiction can be published today, but its now virtually impossible to get true noir published as crime fiction by any major publisher - the markets have become so segmented that crime ficiton needs the so-called "likeable" protag to get through the marketing boards.