Re: RARA-AVIS: Unreliable narrator

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 11 Nov 2005

I thought Iguana Love had it's share of surprises and revealed a complex protagonist. I liked it.

We're talking writing in general, and I don't buy the notion that a strong plot, or the use of specific plot techniques necessarily limits character revelation. Plot reveals character, and the more complex the characters are revealed to be, that is, the more human, the more opportunity there is for plot to surprise and still be consistent with the characters revealed. Plot and character go hand in hand.

Overemphasize character and the result is usually telling rather than showing. Overemphasize plot and the story usually lacks credibility. But it's not a case of one or the other.

This is true of the books I like to read, anyway.

Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com