Re: RARA-AVIS: Unreliable narrator

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 11 Nov 2005

At 02:08 PM 11/11/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Jason Starr's Twisted City and Nothing Personal are two recent books I can
>say do everything well, although again, these aren't completely surprise
>endings, just as The Confession ending isn't. I'd have to go back to
>O'Henry and Guy
>de Maupassant to find perfection, although I'm sure there must be novels that
>I'm just not remembering at the moment.

Well, I think we're just saying the good writers do it, to greater or lesser degrees. Not to say that surprise endings are essential to good riding, and I take your point that it is not good writing if the surprise ending comes riding in out of the blue at the last moment, like the cavalry. The conclusion should connect to the characters as they are revealed.

Best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com