RARA-AVIS: The Rat On Fire - should I bother?

From: ljfth1 ( ljfth1@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 10 Nov 2005

This is my first post on here, hope it works. I've just re-read George V. Higgins The Friends of Eddie Coyle for the first time in over ten years, and it's even better than I'd remembered, pure genius. I've ordered Cogan's Trade, and will also get The Digger's Game in due course, but currently I'm halfway through The Rat On Fire, which was the only GVH novel of that period(ish) that I could find in London. I've heard it said that Higgins became a bit too enamoured of his, undeniably brilliant, proto-Mamet dialogue, but I wasn't expecting anything quite as unreadably dull as this. People seem to just drone on repetitively, to no real purpose, for page after page.

I'm considering abandoning it. Should I stick it out? Will it get any better? Any recommendations on his other stuff? I read, and enjoyed, all the Jerry Kennedy books many years ago.