RARA-AVIS: Ethics of Noir

From: Domenic ( mystery.robot@pacbell.net)
Date: 09 Nov 2005

"When the agents of a democracy practice torture in their country's name, they will get away with it unless citizens do more than disapprove."

I agree, but then I don't... Because I don't know what "more" citizens are supposed to do...

In the early '70's I associated briefly with a radical group intent on bringing down our gov't during the Vietnam War--and found myself at a rock throwing fest in downtown Santa Cruz--I was happy to throw rocks, but I didn't know at whom...

on the streets, watching, very disapproving, were a group of litle old women
--with shopping bags and American flags...

This was the enemy?

I talked to one of them--a shouting match,really‹,and after a while I realized she wasn't going to change her view of the world, no matter what I said, or did...and I realized too that there were a hundred million other people just like her...
  In the end, I had to walk away.

Because I knew she wasn't going to change her mind, and I didn't see anyway of silencing her aside from clubbing her to death...

So the next week I was with a different group== civil disobedience, a peaceful demonstration blocking the courthouse steps

And out came the tact squad with their shields and clubs, with the point of the wedge headed straight for me...

And I ran...

I don't really see anyway out of this dilemma, unless we want to do to the people in charge what they are currently doing to those that oppose them...

It is this trap, I think--this kind of dilemma--no way in, no way out--that noir has traditionally been about.

"The twp-way trap"--as Thompson called it.