RARA-AVIS: Recently read

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Nov 2005

I've had bad luck with fiction here recently and I've just about abandoned it for nonfiction. I struggled with Miri Yu's GOLD RUSH. I couldn't get through Spillane's MY GUN IS QUICK. I got 500 pages into Vernor Vinge's DEEPNESS IN THE SKY and couldn't bring myself to read another page of it, even locked in an airplane on a long flight back from the coast.

I finally broke a long run of unfinished fiction with Mr. Stansberry's THE CONFESSION. I can see why it won an Edgar award. There were scenes that beautifully wrapped the California flora and fauna to the character's mood. This and other themes brought Chandler to mind. And it's good to see Freud is still alive and well in the noir world. Freud is about as noir as it gets.

miker