Re: RARA-AVIS: Manchette

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 07 Nov 2005

At 09:08 PM 06/11/2005 -0800, you wrote:

>I don't think we really disagree, or not much.

Of course, but Rara Avis is such a great place to split hairs.

>What's at the conscious level, what's not--I do think it depends sometimes
>on the writer, the level of sophistication, the nature of the work.

Yes. Though I was thinking as much, or more, about readers.

>The statement you quote from Noor Manifesto, I think that is a political
>statement, or can be read that way--but for me the idea of "revolution" is
>not limited to what we generally refer to as the political arena.

If you're calling the political arena partisan politics, Dems & Reps, the left and the right, up here the Liberals, Conservatives and New Democrats, I think your point is evident in the Manifesto. I took it that you were talking about the issues of power and dominance among and within groups: politics in the wider sense. Noir spoke to these issues in the past and should again, I think you were saying. I guess my point is that the timing for your "revolution" is good as it becomes increasingly evident that there is little in the way of politics, that is political choice, within the traditional realm of the political arena.

>But I also think that Frederick--in his post under Agents of the
>Empire--brings up an interesting paradox.

Exactly. Power corrupts. Always worth repeating. Somehow, with even tiny bits of power pursued, acquired, practiced and protected, we must believe we're the exception. But at least it means that noir remains relevant.

Isn't that why we label characters like Jake Danser psychopaths? To distance them from ourselves? We're not like that. We could never do those things. Surely.

Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com