Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Manchette and other French authors

From: E.Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 04 Nov 2005

DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net :

>Claus wrote:
>"I enjoyed Thierry Jonquet´s "Mygale". He is an exponent of the
>hardboiled style of French noir that is inflected by postMay 1968
>politics and social critique. His crime novels and children's books have
>garnered many literary prizes."

Mark

>I read a translation of his "Cherokee" some time back. I know I enjoyed
>it, but I must admit I don't remember much about it

Mark, Unless "Cherokee" is a title given to one of the existing Jonquet's novel in its English translation, I think you must confuse with the novel by Jean Echenoz... which is a pastiche of crime-mystery novel. I expressed already here, I think, my feelings about Echenoz, a writer who's overvalued and absolutely not innovative as part of the critic tried to make him appear...

Back to Jonquet, his best novel is IMO : LES ORPAILLEURS (The Gold Diggers) , but I do not think it was translated.

E.Borgers HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384 POLAR NOIR http://www.geocities.com/polarnoir