Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Manchette- 3 to Kill

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 04 Nov 2005

Steve wrote:

"One question comes after your answer and Mark¹s just before, what are the best translations of the two terms used so frequently in talk about and by French writers and critics: d鴯urnement and d鲩ve...I have had so much hesitations when doing translations myself for Europolar or others... Several U. literary profs (both French and Us) give
Œdrifting¹ for d鲩ve as a standard in the academic field, but d鴯urnement goes from Œborrowing¹ (socio-linguistics) to
Œavoidance¹ with many variations...Is there something that you feel comfortable in translating those to words in English in the context of crime and noir novels."

I would also appreciate a nuanced application of those terms (and also thank you for the explication of Manchette's titles). And might I add a third, bricolage? I'm familiar with its anthopological use and its application to fashion, as an appropriation and shifting of context; for instance, when the working class British Teddy Boys appropriated Edwardian dress, they were engaged in bricolage. Can it be applied to ideas and styles, or does it more properly refer to material artefacts? I've seen hip hop sampling referred to as bricolage. Can this also be applied to fiction? For instance, when sci-fi writers adopt a hardboiled voice (whatever that is, but we often see blurbs about "if Chandler were writing about sci-fi"), is that bricolage? Does Jonathan Lethem's combining of styles and genre make him a bricoleur?

Thanks,

Mark

ps - Bricolage is also a great CD by Amon Tobin.