Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Manchette and hitmen

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 04 Nov 2005

Claus wrote:

"I enjoyed Thierry Jonquet´s "Mygale". He is an exponent of the hardboiled style of French noir that is inflected by post-May 1968 politics and social critique. His crime novels and children's books have garnered many literary prizes."

I read a translation of his "Cherokee" some time back. I know I enjoyed it, but I must admit I don't remember much about it.

"Another French author is Daniel Pennac with his Malauss讥 novels. Translated are "The Fairy Gunmother (La f饠Carabine, 1987)", "Write to Kill (La petite Marchande de prose, 1989), "Passion Fruit (Des chr鴩ens et des Maure, 1996)". Well worth a read, even just for Pennac´s amazing style."

"Scapegoat" has also been translated. It and "Fairy Gunmother" are on my tottering TBR pile.

And another French author: While not exactly crime novels, except maybe his first, "The Erasers," Alain Robbe-Grillet's books often have a deep sense of foreboding, even doom. I recommend "The Voyeur" and
"Jealousy," perhaps my first, and one of the best, exposure to the unreliable narrator.

Mark