RARA-AVIS: Re: Manchette and hitmen

From: kerkhoc ( Claus_Kerkhoff@web.de)
Date: 04 Nov 2005

> Aside from Manchette's Prone Gunman, all I've read is Japrisot's
Lady In the Car with Glasses and a Gun, which I enjoyed immensely
(Jonquet's Mygale is on the "to be read" pile).

I enjoyed Thierry Jonquet´s "Mygale". He is an exponent of the hardboiled style of French noir that is inflected by post-May 1968 politics and social critique. His crime novels and children's books have garnered many literary prizes.

Good reads are also two other books of Japrisot "The Sleeping-Car Murders aka 10:30 from Marseille (Compartiment tueurs, 1962)" and
"Trap for Cinderella (Pi觥 pour Cendrillon, 1962)". I highly recommend "10:30 from Marseille" as a perfect whodonit.

One short footnote: The first noir novel of Manchette "Laissez bronzer les cadavres (1971, co-written with Jean-Pierre Bastid)" , unfortunately not translated in English, was inspirated by Donald Westlake. In addition, Manchette has translated a number of novels of Ross Thomas and Donald Westlake as well as written several essays about the two authors. Has anyone noticed the influence of these two authors on Manchette novels?

> Any other French authors in the same vein who come highly recommended?

Didier Daeninckx is a good example for the new generation of French thriller writers (after Manchette). His novel "Murder in Memoriam
(Meurtres pour m魯ire, 1984)" receives the France's prestigious
"Grand Prix de litt鲡ture polici貥".

Jean-Bernard Pouy is the co-Creator of "Le Poulpe", along with Patrick Raynal and Serge Quadruppani. Pouy receives a number of prizes, such as "Grand Prix de la Ville de Reims 1986", Prix Polar 1989"; "Troph饊 813 du meilleur roman 1992", "Prix Paul F鶡l 1996", and "Prix Polar Michel Lebrun 1999". Unfortunately, there are no novel translated in English.

Another French author is Daniel Pennac with his Malauss讥 novels. Translated are "The Fairy Gunmother (La f饠Carabine, 1987)", "Write to Kill (La petite Marchande de prose, 1989), "Passion Fruit (Des chr鴩ens et des Maure, 1996)". Well worth a read, even just for Pennac´s amazing style.

Claus