Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Manchette- 3 to Kill

From: Steve Novak ( Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 04 Nov 2005

Very interesting, thanks ɴienne for these pr飩sions which are certainly very useful for non-French speakers...I would simply add that most French noir (or assimilated) novels have within their titles and in the body of the text, play on words and Œjousts with languages¹ that are a very integral part of this d鴯urnement of language and that this is linked to the writing of polemicists in newspapers in France from the time of the Commune to the current Canard Encha weekly satirical newspaper...something slightly akin to the work of some UK satirical papers and programs like Monty Python...I know of no paper (with a national audience and readership) in the US that would be the equivalent, but journalistic traditions and practices are different....

One question comes after your answer and Mark¹s just before, what are the best translations of the two terms used so frequently in talk about and by French writers and critics: d鴯urnement and d鲩ve...I have had so much hesitations when doing translations myself for Europolar or others... Several U. literary profs (both French and Us) give Œdrifting¹ for d鲩ve as a standard in the academic field, but d鴯urnement goes from Œborrowing¹
(socio-linguistics) to Œavoidance¹ with many variations...Is there something that you feel comfortable in translating those to words in English in the context of crime and noir novels.

Thanks in advance for these precisions and again for the explanations.

Montois de D鴲oit