Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Manchette and hitmen

From: E.Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 04 Nov 2005

Tribe wrote

>While I certainly can't generalize from
>just that, I did wonder if French hard-boiled/noir fiction shows some
>predisposition towards the hitman/organization scenario.

 To the contrary. Even if the themes with a hitman as central plot is present in French HB/noir, it's rather seldom. But you could have the opposite impression as Manchette used it quite often: even in "3 to Kill" the central character is chased by hitmen. Further, in "Fatale", the central character is a female hit..woman. In "Ԡdingos, Ԡchⴥaux !" (= Oh loonies, Oh castles !), hitmen, if not central as characters, play again an important role in the story. This last title is a direct play with a famous verse by Rimbaud: "Ԡ saisons, Ԡchⴥaux, " in a poem having the same title (= Oh seasons, Oh castles,). Thie novel was the base for a film by Yves Boisset, a thriller scripted by Sebastien Japrisot: Folle ࠴uer (1975) - "Mad Enough to Kill"- and was not too bad.

E.Borgers HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384 POLAR NOIR http://www.geocities.com/polarnoir