Re: RARA-AVIS: Manchette

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 03 Nov 2005

Domenic wrote:

"PS: I love the this notion of the "detournement," in the quote from Lasn which Mark cites above."

Not really on topic, except for Manchette's one time affliation with the Situationists, but that quote is from Kalle Lasn's book Culture Jam. One chapter is a capsule history of the Situationists, largely drawn from Greil Marcus's Lipstick Traces (which pursues its complicated, and much overstated, influence on punk) and Sadie Plant's The Most Radical Gesture (which places it within European radical traditions), along with the movement's (if it was actually a movement) two main texts, Guy Debord's Society of the Spectacle and Raul Vaneigem's Revolution of Everyday Life. Lasn particulary focuses on their ideas of detournement and the derive, which is hardly surprising, considering he is the publisher of Adbusters, which practices the detournement of national ad campaigns.

Based on his two books in English translation (damn, I wish there were more), I also think that the idea of the detournement applies to Manchette's approach to genre. He starts with the standard genre conventions, but soon readers find themselves far off the beaten path, but still satisfied.

I also agree that Manchette steers clear of any polemic. He is not concerned with any party doctrine, but with how personal politics play out in an alienated society. Best of all, though, they are great reads.

Mark