RARA-AVIS: Manchette

From: Domenic ( mystery.robot@pacbell.net)
Date: 03 Nov 2005

Maybe others can add more detail, but my understanding is that the Situationists were a loose knit group that grew out of the left wing radicalism of the late sixties in France. And the group attracted artists and writers like Manchette.

Because of this association, Manchette's work is celebrated by the American Left, published by City Lights--but the irony is that Manchette had pretty much disaffiliated himself by the time he wrote the books we are discussing.

Or at least those are the broad outlines of his biography as I understand it--but my knowledge is limited to what I have read in translation.

 For me--it's Manchette's disaffection that I find appealing, and also what makes "The Prone Gunmen" interesting as a novel.

 Much more so, for example, than the Catalan writer, Montalban, also much celebrated, but whose books, I think, read like political tracts.

(PS: I love the this notion of the "detournement," in the quote from Lasn which Mark cites above.)