Manchette ( Was Re: RARA-AVIS: Welcome to Domenic!)

From: Tribe ( tribexx@gmail.com)
Date: 01 Nov 2005

On 11/1/05, crimeflix wrote:

> Hey Dominic,
> We missed you at the Hard Case Crime reading here in NYC last night,
> Looking forward to you rockin' the house!
> (and, finally, I have a copy of The Prone Gunman" thanks to Megan
> Abbott)
> http://www.jasonstarr.com

I recently discovered Manchette myself...I found The Prone Gunman brilliant! I don't know how leaner one can write and still come up with a novel as enthralling as this. I still don't quite understand what Stansberry was exactly getting at when he refers to Manchette as something of an inspiration for his Manifesto (and hopefully, we'll see something on that here in the next couple of days), but I do understand his enthusiasm for The Prone Gunman.

The damn thing is a bleak as can be, and yet, there's just enough that in the telling that a reader can have some degree of empathy for the protagonist. Contrary to what one might read out there, I don't find this to be overtly political (the politics, or anti-politics, are there, but not enough to confuse this with being some sort of "message novel"). If anything, the fact of telling these over the top, incredible scenes of violence and mayhem is political in and of itself...not certain whether I'd call it some sort of critique on the genre or not.

I loved this book.

Tribe

--
http://tribe.textdriven.com/blog
Tribe's Blog

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~->