RARA-AVIS: Welcome to Domenic Stansberry

From: William Denton ( wtd@pobox.com)
Date: 01 Nov 2005

It's my pleasure to welcome Domenic Stansberry to the list as our Guest of Honour for November. He's the fourth of the year, following Vicki Hendricks, Dennis Lynds, and Kent Harrington, which shows how lucky we've been with guests this year.

Domenic's books and his Noir Manifesto have been much discussed on the list, going back to 1999, when MANIFESTO FOR THE DEAD was mentioned because it stars Jim Thompson. More and more people read him, and ever since THE CONFESSION, which came out last year from Hard Case Crime and won an Edgar for best paperback original, his name has come up regularly. Popular demand led me to ask him to be a guest.

Here is a bibliography of his five books, all of which have been well reviewed here and everywhere:

* THE CONFESSION (2004, Edgar winner for best paperback original)
* CHASING THE DRAGON (2004)
* MANIFESTO FOR THE DEAD (2000)
* THE LAST DAYS OF IL DUCE (1999, nominee for best novel, Edgar and
   Hammett)
* THE SPOILER (1987, Edgar nominee for best first mystery novel)

CHASING THE DRAGON is the first in a series about San Fransisco ex-cop Dante Mancuso.

Domenic Stansberry has a web site:

         http://www.domenicstansberry.com/

It has pictures, a short biography, a bibliography with reviews, an interview with rare bird Juri Nummelin, and a list of appearances and signings (if you're in Petaluma or Larkspur, California, this week, have a look). And, of course, it has his Noir Manifesto, which we've already started discussing.

I hope we can talk more about the manifesto and Jean-Patrick Manchette and what noir needs, as well as how Jim Thompson came to be a character, the new series about Mancuso, the miniscule controversy over THE CONFESSION, and much else.

Please make Domenic Stansberry welcome! Now you can finally ask those questions you've been saving up. And Domenic, please join in with any discussions or threads you see, as you're able--your opinions and insights will be appreciated.

Let November begin!

Cheers,

Bill

--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : www.miskatonic.org : www.frbr.org

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~->